All,

I have a friend who reads a lot of history and thinks HARD about what he
reads.  For months he has been reassuring me about the state of American
democracy because, as he said, Trump wasn't a well focused dictator like
Hitler.  But I saw him last Monday and he asked me, with an air of genuine
panic, "What do I do?"  The reason for his new panic was his realization
that Hitler had not always been a focused dictator, but had been entrained,
over his career, to play just those themes that would rouse the German
people to War.  The impeachment process had convinced him that Trump was
gradually developing the focus of a proper Hitler.

So I passed the question he asked me onto the group on Friday.  "What do we
do?"  What struck me was that many of us took the question to be, "where do
we best escape to?"  Options included New Zealand, Costa Rica, Bermuda,
Canada, Italy, etc.  These answers startled me, because, of course, the
question I meant to be asking was, how do we use our considerable talent,
skill, knowledge, resources, and technical knowhow to do everything in our
power to reverse the authoritarian pandemic that is sweeping the world.

Now some of you, perhaps many, that we in any kind of an emergency, or even
if we are, that there is anything we might do about it, or even that there
is any particular reason to save American democracy.  I am happy to have
that discussion, too.  However, from those of you who share my panic, I
would love to hear suggestions about what I (and others) might do in the
next year .

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas Thompson