I agree that the brain does not record past experiences with arbitrarily fine 
precision.

Two persons that have almost the same subjective experience are identical twins 
who live in the same place, go to the same school or have the same work and are 
treated in exactly the same way by their parents. In real life they will have 
different names, and slightly different preferences.

We can perhaps compare it to tree growth in nature. There are no two trees that 
have the same branching structure. It is statistically impossible for two trees 
to have the exact same branching structure. When treated as mathematical 
networks, even a young tree with just 20 splits has over 500 million unique 
structural layouts, a number that scales past the total atoms in the universe 
for mature trees. Furthermore, because real trees grow in continuous 3D space, 
matching every single branch angle and length to infinite decimal places 
carries a probability of zero. I have heard in probability theory, the chance 
of pulling the exact same real number out of an infinite continuum twice is 
exactly 0. Finally, tree growth functions like a chaotic fractal algorithm, 
where tiny environmental changes - like a passing cloud or gust of wind - 
multiply over time to permanently alter the final shape.

I guess it is this repeated multiplication and accumulation of tiny differences 
that creates a unique structure. Path-dependence and the sensitive dependence 
on initial conditions we know from chaos theory (the butterfly effect) describe 
two distinct aspects of complex systems: one decribes how it starts, while the 
other describes how it develops. Sensitive dependence triggers divergence, and 
path dependence locks it in.

In terms of the LNC Impossibility Theorem, sensitive dependence on initial 
conditions guarantees that two agents A and B will inevitably begin with 
microscopic physical differences. Path dependence then takes those 
micro-differences, amplifies them through adaptation, reinforcement and 
environmental interactions, and bakes them permanently into the topological 
structure of their valuation matrices.

But overall I agree it is a weak point in the whole proof. Maybe it is possible 
to to improve it by statistical arguments and probability theory. I never liked 
probability theory though.

J.


On September 27, 2026 12:51:31 AM GMT+02:00, Jon Zingale <[email protected]> 
wrote:
>There is a bit more to my concern. Two people may occupy different places
>and follow different paths, but why must every difference in their
>histories be preserved in their present experience? I’m hesitant to assume
>that consciousness, or any history-dependent system, records its past with
>arbitrarily fine precision. This is one of the objections I raised in
>earlier posts about the possible limits of spacetime’s fidelity (much less
>the fidelity of an information-processing body embedded within it).
>Distinct histories might still give rise to the same present experience.
>
>My own ontological inclination lately is toward a genuinely open,
>generative unfolding. Still, I suspect that what a material system can
>represent at a given moment is limited, more boldly even, finite. So I
>would likely take the other side of that bet.
.- .-.. .-.. / ..-. --- --- - . .-. ... / .- .-. . / .-- .-. --- -. --. / ... 
--- -- . / .- .-. . / ..- ... . ..-. ..- .-..
FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom 
https://bit.ly/virtualfriam
to (un)subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
archives:  5/2017 thru present https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/
  1/2003 thru 6/2021  http://friam.383.s1.nabble.com/

Reply via email to