On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Ralf Hemmecke <r...@hemmecke.org> wrote:
>>> Functor is quite loaded name and may lead to confusion.
>>
>> Yes, the name is a problem.  OpenAxiom uses "Functorial".
>> But I think Functor is fine, given the context that Haskell is
>> using this name.
>
> BTW, in Aldor the "Maybe" domain is called "Partial".
> https://github.com/pippijn/aldor/blob/master/aldor/lib/aldor/src/base/sal_partial.as

I'd be OK to adopt this name.

> You probably suggested that, because the "if" line shouldn't be there
> and you actually wanted something that applies to all pairs of monads.
> But your FunctorPackage just does the lifting of map for only one
> particular monad (namely Maybe).

Yes, that package is supposed for ALL Funtors, to
(potenially) replace current 50+ '*Functions2' package,
not invent a new one solely for Maybe:
    if FA is Maybe A and FB is Maybe B then ...
    if FA is X A and FB is X B then ...
    if FA is Y A and FB is Y B then ...

> I'm still of the opinion that the concept of monads cannot be nicely
> defined in SPAD.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/fricas-devel/UCFkQGgOOf0/RzbEtrbYIHUJ
>
> Note that in
>
> https://wiki.haskell.org/Monad
> class Monad m where
>   (>>=) :: m a -> (a -> m b) -> m b
>   (>>) :: m a -> m b -> m b
>   return :: a -> m a
>   fail :: String -> m a
>
> the "m" appears in front of a and in front of b. I'm not aware of a
> SPAD/Aldor syntax that can describe this situation.

That "m" stands for "the same Monad constructor", Spad don't have similar
syntax, that's why I have to simulate it by "if FA is Maybe A and FB
is Maybe B".
This package doesn't forbid MONADPKG(String, Integer, Maybe String,
List Integer),
which is obviously wrong.