On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 2:57:06 PM UTC, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 7:38:20 PM UTC-6, oldk1331 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the google groups page, there is "my settings" in upper
>> right corner, select "membership and email settings",
>> then select "Notify me for every new message".
>>
>> Then you can recieve discussions in your gmail and you can
>> set up thunderbird accordingly.
>>
>> For posting to this group, simply send to
>>  fricas...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
>>

> Thanks. This did not work for me. I do not have a gmail account. I have
> personal email
> only.

I think you do not need a gmail account for this, any email will work.
(although you might need a google account to tweak settings, not sure about
this)

> When I did what you said, I could not tell it to send email to my
> personal email. There was no setting to change this.
>
> I do not understand why Fricas set up a forum that can only be accessed by
> loging to google. I can access all other usenet forums from outside
> google except for Fricas.
>
> Why not set up a normal usenet newsgroup for Fricas?

Do you have 1st hand experience with setting up a Usenet service/group?
Usent newsgroups need an infrastructure---hardware. It costs money, or you
need to convince your employer
(if you're lucky to work at a university) that you need this extra hardware
and IT support to run a server.
As well, many ISPs simply block Usenet access nowadays.

In 2001 Google has kindly stepped in with their free googlegroups, along
with archiving Usenet groups.
As more and more Usenet servers are going off the air, it's getting less
and less meaningful to start new Usenet groups.