Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 7:38:20 PM UTC-6, oldk1331 wrote:

<snip>
> Thanks. This did not work for me. I do not have a gmail account. I have
> personal email
> only.
>
> When I did what you said, I could not tell it to send email to my
> personal email. There was no setting to change this.
>
> I do not understand why Fricas set up a forum that can only be accessed by
> loging to google. I can access all other usenet forums from outside
> google except for Fricas.
>
> Why not set up a normal usenet newsgroup for Fricas?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_newsgroup

fricas-devel is intended to be used as mailing list.  When it was
set up in 2007 there were no troble setting any mailing address
you wished.  It is possible that Google delibaratly made user
interface for setting address crappy to discourage outside
addresses, but AFAIK it is still possible to set address.
OTOH Google "personalizes" what users see, so maybe they hide
things that use do not use (except for things that they want to
push on you).

Technically fricas-devel is "Google group", quite different beast
than Usent groups (trough Google pretends that Usent groups
are Google groups).  To setup Usenet group for FriCAS would
require some effort and crucially enough interested people.
Current setup seem to work well enough for most people, so
my guess it that number of people specifically wanting
Usenet group for FriCAS is tiny.

If Google UI deteriorates to point of unusablity we may consider
independent mail server.  But this is extra effort and
potential trouble with over-eager black lists (nobody dares
to put Google on black list, but if you are a small mail
server, then big guys may block you).  In balance, ATM
current setup seem better than alternatives.