My thoughts are that the concepts of sustainability may also be able to be
applied to the individual in relation to the organization/social
environment.

I am looking specifically in my research of knowledge based
industries (hightech ie. multimedia /software developers) as the context
of work practice.

'Sustainable work futures' is a possible framework that guides the
individual relationships to society through the activities and meaning of
work.  In a period of radical social, economic, cultural and political
transforation and ambiguity social cultural relations are bieng redefined
on a global scale.  These new social/cultural contexts suggest that a
shift in power relations is occurring in the new economy based on,
access to and possession of knowledge and information via new
communications.

The transition between fordist production processes to
post fordism suggests a space of opportunity to redefine work based upon
an ideology of sustainability. The individual is situated in a social
system within the context of work where components of sustainability are
related to meaning, health, individuality, learning, freedom and
flexibility in the organizaiton and direction of work.

Paul Hawken: "Principles of sustainaiblity in business & work"
suggests that working sustainably is the performance of tasks and services
that are sustainably produced or that promote sustainability in the
society as a whole.

He suggests that sustainability is the carrying capacity of the
ecosystem - (an organization or society), described with input/output
models of energy and resource consumption.  An economic state where
demands placed upon the environment(social,physical)can be met without
reducing the capacity of the environment to provide for future
generations.  Aspects of adding value, sense of will, a direction or
meaning, production processes that are human, worthy, dignified and
intrinsicaly satisfying. Growth is managed with moderate amounts of
outside capital.  Determining codes of conduct for corporate life that
integrate social, ethical and environmental principles.

So I am trying to make this linkage, redefining sustainability in the
context of work practice.

Deborah :)

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:28:34 GMT
Durant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

How any of the below is linked to sustainability??
I thought you mean work that uses mostly sustainable
resourses...  as most jobs are superfluous in the
"developed" countries, loads of them belong here...
I'd think the proportion is worse for
underdeveloped countries.

Eva (puzzled as ever)