An early childhood memory is of coming home from church and repeating
what I had heard from the elderly Scottish minister:
        "We all must wurrrk in this wurrrld."
It was something my siblings and I repeated to one another from time
to time in the ensuing years -- a bit of knowledge about The Way The
World Is that had arrived to us in a memorable form.  But it's not so
clear, any more, that it's true -- or even possible.
        The reasons to work are, as I see it,
1) Because there are things that need to be done
2) Because humanity has evolved in such a way that it is easier to
feel fulfilled if one has some work to do than if one does not
3) Because one needs to earn money
        The problem with the modern world is that #1 seems to accord
less and less with #3 -- that is, the activities that earn money --
especially those that earn lots of money -- are increasingly often
things that don't need to be done; arguably, even, most of the world
would be better off if they weren't done.   And #2 doesn't accord
very well with #3, either -- though I'm less sure what kind of trend
there here.  On the one hand, when it was obvious that there was a
lot of need for human labor -- when, for example, it took more than
50% of a population to produce enough food for all, instead of, as
now, in the U.S., taking well under 2% -- then the argument from
necessity (#3, even when it wasn't mediated with money) was probably
reasonably fulfilling.  At least, it seemed obvious why one was
working; it was not hard to find a meaning in one's activities.  But
when the link between #1 and #3 is broken, and the link between #2
and #3 weakens, too; if the work doesn't clearly produce anything
that makes life possible, or better, for anyone, but is only done in
order to produce an income, then the way is open for modern existential
distress.
        So how would one seek to make work sustainable in such a
context?  Myself, I wouldn't start by looking at the conditions for
the worker; I'd look at what it produces, and try to ensure that that
is something of value.  How to ensure that?  One test is: what does
it take to get people to purchase it?  If it requires a lot of
manipulative, clever advertising (as opposed to a more simple, bland
effort to provide information), then that suggests that it's not very
important or valuable in people's lives.  If I was interested in
creating a sustainable work situation, I'd start by getting the workers
together to discuss things like this.  If they start with a commitment
to their product, that's a giant step forward.
        All sorts of other conditions of work are, of course, also
important.  But start with the meaning of what is being done!
        -- Neva Goodwin