It is a sad reality that due to its political nature there is in Washington
both 'analysis' and 'spin'. The latter seeks to look like the former, but
its purpose is to affect policy. Truth and balance are not a necessary
component of spin: it is part of the mammoth lobbying effort that permeates
Washington. Lobbyists are, at best, one sided, but to politicians who are
largely ignorant of substantive issues and not too particular about
procedural or substantive integrity, effective lobbyists can sometimes take
on quasi-staff roles with the politicians.

The Saudi presentation was in the spin category, a collaboration between
Perle et al, and the presenter. It's utility lies in the impact has on the
thinking of policy-makers. Officially, Perle is not a policy-maker; he
issuccessful only through influence, so leaking a presentation whose
credibility he builds up by having it preseneted to his advisory group is
the only way he can move Washington opinion against the Saudis.  WHY he and
the other neo-conservatives would do so is another matter.

> The comment that can be made here is that the Muslim countries of the
> Middle East are as different from one another as, say, west European
> countries still are, despite almost parallel industrial develoment for a
> century or more.

Yes, this is absolutely correct. But understanding these vital differences
requires study and understanding, something that the 'instant experts' who
eagerly follow governmental interest from crisis to crisis are short on. You
cannotr imagine the number of heretofore unknown 'experts' on terrorism have
descended on Washington, eager to receive contracts! The Middle East field
is now deluged with these charlatans; they learn enough to acquire a bit of
a vocabulary, and sniff out some patron to serve. Those who are good at
self-promotion and energetic enough can end up with considerable influence.
If the government seems to be following naive and incoherent policy, you now
know why.

> However, I think most scholars would agree that the common feature of them
> all is that, for subtle reasons that no-one has yet adequately
> explained or
> agreed upon, the Muslim Empire -- highly civilised, liberal, prosperous,
> inventive, with great trading routes from Spain through to Asia -- started
> retreating 500 years or so ago and has subsequently reacted with
> increasing
> anger against western civilisation rather than being able to reform (with
> the possible exception of Turkey -- where the secularisation brought about
> by Kemal Ataturk is now in some danger even after half a century of being
> implanted).

Yes, this question has been the subject of several books, recently, and some
of them are pretty good. In part, it is simply a matter of why empires come
and go -- nothing specific to Islam, and in part it has its unique Islamic
components.  This is a subject that I would love to discuss further, but I
think it may radically exceed the scope of this list...

> The reaction in most instances has taken the form of falling back to an
> intensely puritanical form of Islam as the only way of retaining their
> dignity and self-respect. We've seen this fairly recently in the case of
> the rapid rise of the Taliban in Afghanistan -- which, I suggest, is far
> from being defeated (I notice, most women are still wearing burkas!)

Nothing wrong with burkas, Keith -- except that the Western feminist
movement has labelled them oppressive. I haven't heard any feminist say
'Ooooops, maybe we were wrong. Maybe our Afghani sisters really DO like to
wear burkas, in the same way that we Western women have our own clothing
habits, rules and taboos. Hmmmmm," our enlightened feminist would go on to
say, "I wonder what our Afghani sisters say about our high-heels, our
display of skin, our make-up, our tight-clothing.....is it possible that
they don't see, whith all these things, how advanced and sophisticated we
western women are???"

> This is particularly so in Saudi Arabia where, indeed, the present Saudi
> royal family came to power by mounting a jihad in 1902 with the assistance
> of the Wahhabi sect, and have been indebted to them ever since.

1922 perhaps?  It wasn't a jihad -- it was a tribal war vs. the Hashemites.
The Saudi tribe WAS Wahhabi -- they didn't do it with the assistance of such
a 'sect'-- it is simply a desert tribal Arabian school of Islam.

And, yes, Wahhabism is a strong social and moral force in Saudi Arabia, and
does stand in variance to modernizing -- meaning, for better or worse --
westernizing forces

Generally, the oil-rich countries -- and not just the Arab ones -- have
tended to become dependent on foreign labor, manual and professional. Oil
revenue money is distributed freely, in effect, to nationals of the country,
and they do not have to do any work. So the nationals become dependent on
the foriegn workers, and fail to develop as a work force of their own. This
is the reality behind many of the symptoms you point to. This is a very hard
nut to crack. Saudi over-spending has left them in debt, and so this pattern
is being severely challenged -- and for simple economic reasons and not
religious ones. Will Saudi Arabia and the others, find a way, despite their
wealth, to evolve a competent diversified indigenous workforce?  This is,
IMHO, the number one issue before them.  I did a detailed study (including a
large public opinion survey) several years ago of this stuation in one such
country (not SA) and was impressed by how hard it was going to be.

With this inmind, I have renamed our thread.

Best regards,
Lawry