On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:30:53PM -0400, parv wrote:
> in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> wrote fvwm-workers thusly...
> >
> > I'm not quite happy with the tear-off menu code yet:
> >
> >  - Torn off menus have a strange focus policy.
> >  - There is no good way to handle tear off menus with the mouse.
> >  - Placement and sizing of the menus is not perfect.
> >
> > What do others think about tear-off menus?  What should be done?
> > How can we improve usability?  Are there other issues I missed?
>
> based on v2.5.1 experience...
>
> menu items always seem to be in "MouseFocus" mode even if
> "fvwm_menu" class was assigned "ClickToFocus" policy.  well, the
> torn-off window does respect the "ClickToFocus" but menu items do
> not.  (that's seem like your first point.)

Tear-off menus don't care about their focus policy.  They take the
focus on their own when the pointer enters and release it when the
poointer leaves.  It's confusing and uncomfortable, but as long as
the menu code stays in the fvwm core there is little that can be
done about it. :-/

> other problem is when the torn off menu (window) is placed on two
> pages, the menu doesn't behave like it does w/ "Animation" style
> when there is no enough space to fit the whole menu (in non-torn
> off mode).  i would expect the menu to slide on focus such that it
> is appears in its entirety on the current page.  (that could be your
> 3d point.)

Ah, I see.  Hadn't thought of that yet.  Animated tear-off menus
are really not a good idea.

> pressing "escape" on torn off menu's window title doesn't make it
> disappear, only on the actual menu (items).

Should it?  Closing tear-off menus should be more difficult that
closing normal menus so that you don't close them accidentally.
To deactivate the menu, simply move the mouse away.  What do
others think of this?

Well, to sum it up, I can think of at least three features that
do not work well with tear-off menus:

 - menu animation
 - continuation menus ("more...")
 - sub menus

I don't see a good solution for either of these, except
recommending not to use any of these features with tear-off menus.

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20