On Friday 17 December 2004 04:19, Stephen Goranson wrote:
> Another journalistic report on Qumran, "A crack in the theory,"
>
> http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?
> pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1103170788474
>
> or if that URL does not work, try
> http://www.jpost.com  and go to "features"
>
> There are big problems with this article, as with so many newspaper Qumran
> accounts, that I'll address if there is interest.

Actually, I found their theory quite intriguing, and there only seem to be
"big problems" for the Essenes-at-any-cost camp.  It will be interesting to
see how those folks deal with the actual materials that these two have
discovered.  Broshi certainly didn't address the layers of clay etc. in his
comments, just made some lame comments about presence of fuel and the
difficulties of transporting pottery.  But pottery was transported all over
the ANE from earliest times, so that comment seems to be a smokescreen.  As
for wood, the same caravans transporting pottery could easily transport wood
and other fuels.  So Broshi really hasn't said anything (at least printed in
the article) that really shows the idea to be "rubbish."  It will be
fascinating to see where this leads.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur