On Sep 27, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Charles Davis wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2008, at 4:15 AM, CCorsair wrote:
>

>> Thanks this all good info.. question.. If i move to 10.5 will i be
>> able to run the older video editing software?
>> the person tha gave me the system said he want to make sure we keep
>> that part going.(even in the old OS as is it is much easier to edit a
>> video on the mac then a PC) I know my PC can render HD but the Mac
>> isn't going to handle that as is.

Apple dropped classic support in 10.5. You can still run Classic apps
in 10.4.11.

>> If current burning drive will work I look into that this as i need to
>> burn some videos off soon.
>> will look for Toast as well.but again under 9.2.2  I know there are
>> limits as I had some bring me a early G4 system they had installed OS
>> 10.3 or 10.4 the lost all classic ability

An installation problem (see above). Did they wipe the drive and then
upgrade to 10.3 or 4? Did they install OS 9 drivers if they did that?
You have to install OS 9 to get classic.

> THERE IS a difference in Native OS9, and Classic.
> That machine is old enough that you Should be able to boot OS9
> natively.
> THIS IS NOT the same as running OSX and going into 'Classic Mode'.

Booting into OS 9 is supported on all 733MHz towers (and all G4
towers up to the firewire 800 MDD) and running in true OS 9 is faster
than running in Classic mode.

> Others have fought this battle in the past. (They better chime in, as
> I'm at the end of what I can say.)
> Other than to say, Running OS9 natively, is NOT a 'High Cost Option'
> way of doing things, in fact it should be the cheapest way to go.

You should be able to get a copy of 9 off the swap list for under $20

> Chuck D.
>
>> for running older programs
>> for the system and when I tried to do the online updates for that OS
>> it crashed but i was able to recover it but get the system to run any
>> of her older software. The system just would not run in classic mode
>> at all.

Sounds like you wiped the drive then installed a version of OS X. see
above.

Len