On Oct 20, 2008, at 3:54 AM, Simon Royal wrote:

> Is AGP that much faster than PCI? I have been Googling the question
> and it
> seems not.

In standard 33MHz PCI slots a PCI video card is 1/2xAGP speed. If you
had a 66MHz PCI slot (you don't, but the PCI Graphics "Yikes" has one,
and also the "B&W" G3 has one), this slot would be the equivalent of
1xAGP. Your AGP Graphics "Sawtooth" has a 2x AGP, which is 4x faster
than the fastest PCI slot. Using an AGP video card is a no brainer
unless you have a dead AGP slot.

I've already told you this information before, so why are you still
Googling? Don't trust me?

> I have both Tiger and Leopard installed on the Sawtooth and the only
> advantage of having a massive graphics card would be for Core Image
> and
> Quartz Extreme in Leopard. However, I use Tiger the most and this is
> very
> spritely as it is.

Just try scrolling a giant long document or webpage. S-L-O-W. For that
matter, you can go to XBench archives and look up the differences
between a Sawtooth with a good card and one with a bad card. A quick
glance shows one with a Radeon 9800 getting graphics scores around
75-80 range, and one with an OEM Rage getting scores in the 15-20
range. Your PCI card will be one half of this, so it should test out
in the 8-10 range (run the test yourself, see). You can see these
archive results yourself at:

<http://db.xbench.com/>

You can flash cheap PC card over to Mac easy enough. Just get any old
cheap 7000 or whatever you think is appropriate. Look here for info
and ROMs:

<http://themacelite.wikidot.com/>