Update:
The Case appears to be 100% plastic upon taking another look at it.
Someone just advised to 'check under the feet' and that didn't bear
fruit. My assessment -revised- is that the case is constructed of a 5
sided box with openings at front and rear for firewire jacks and the
drive door area respectively. The bottom plate looks to be a snap in
affair at the ends, but the side seams are damn near perfect and I
wonder if they're glued in. I mis-remembered it being a metal box.
Dang thing annoys me. To tell the truth, seeing flying shards would be
pretty satisfying!

Richard