Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I know about aliases, have been working with
Macs for 18 years. The question marks aside the  apps themselves don't
work when I open them in ther real folders.

My disks seem to be fine. Sorry I couldn't learn anything new this
time. What does input/output error actually mean? That the file is
busy when being cloned?

Can I just look up the BootX file on an installer CD and replace the
flaky one with that?

Regards, Jörg.