Hi Dan,

> Ok.  I'm pre-coffee... so...  18 years huh?   Then why didn't you
> bother to say that the apps themselves don't work????  That does
> kindof change the WHOLE nature of the issue... </rant>

I said literally "the programs don't work".

> >My disks seem to be fine.

> Except that you have fatal i/o error on the source and your
> destination is obviously corrupted, since apps aren't working right.

All apps work perfectly. Only about half of my classic apps stopped
working under Tiger  (like Illustrator 9 and all 3 Quark XPress
versions I use) i.e. directly after the "upgrade" they became
unavailable. Under Panther everything is still perfect.

> >What does input/output error actually mean? That the file is
> >busy when being cloned?

> No, not busy.

> It means rsync tried to read the data from the HD and it FAILED.  The
> hard drive refused to provide the data because of a FATAL error.
> Either the hard drive had a controller problem or the the data blocks
> involved have become unreadable.  Further details might be available
> in your system log.

In between I did a file-level clone with the new CCC under Tiger and
everything went well. So perhaps the old CCC app had some bugs?

> >Can I just look up the BootX file on an installer CD and replace the
> >flaky one with that?

> IFF (If and ONLY if) it's just those files or directories involved,
> then yes.  BUT given your other issues, I'm wondering what else has
> died on that drive.

The error occurred always only on the BootX-file. Before the error
occurred I was successfully cloning both my drives twice a week w/o
any errors. The few other problems I had before (CCC just stopped
cloning) were probably caused because in the beginning I was cloning
in the background thus actually changing the drive I was cloning ...

But now comes the clincher: When I was busy replacing the BootX file
from an older Panther clone on a FireWire drive I accidentally put the
CoreServices folder in the trash (command-backspace). I meant the
BootX file but the folder was highlighted.

How is that possible anyway? The owner of CoreServices is/was system,
I'm only the humble admin ...

And then I couldn't get the darn thing out of the trash again - no
permissions! Wow!! OSX let me trash an absolutely essential folder but
I can't retrieve it again. What a PITA ...

Some bad blocks huh? Better get a new drive. What happened to SMART
anyway? That's supposed to warn me when my drive gets flaky or not?
DiskUtility tells me that SMART was checked. So my SMART went DUMB on
me ...

I probably have still warranty on that Western Digital drive but I
won't get a new drive with this "hazy" story I guess. How do you kill
a drive w/o visible destruction on the outside? ;-)

After my original boot volume was thus crippled I tried to start
(restarted with the alt-key) from the clone on the other drive (that
system partition booted perfectly before) and that gave me the darn
message in three languages to restart my computer. This is the most
stupid message of OSX I know because a simple restart will never help!
They should add that you will have to push the alt-key when restarting
and choose another drive to start up from. If you have one that is ...

So I still had a bootable Tiger volume left and started up from that.
Then I replaced the BootX file in the CoreServices folder of my clone
that wouldn't start (still can't figure out why) with that from the
external and copied that folder to the crippled volume. Then I
restarted from that volume and all was hunky dory again. But it gave
me a bit of a scare I can tell you.

As you can see having three boot volumes isn't a luxury sometimes ...

Regards, Jörg.