On Dec 31, 2008, at 9:04 PM, insightinmind wrote:

> On Dec 31, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Charles Davis wrote:
>

>> Is the MoBd Firmware 'up to date???
>>
>> That is what controls things during 'Startup' -- I.E. IF it doesn't
>> include awareness of 'Firewire' --- That isn't a possibility without
>> something like 'XPF Helper'. Ditto for USB.
>
> Here's my ...
>
> Hardware Overview:
>
>    Machine Name:      Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)
>    Machine Model:     PowerMac1,2
>    CPU Type:  PowerPC G4  (2.6)
>    Number Of CPUs:    1
>    CPU Speed: 450 MHz
>    L2 Cache (per CPU):        1 MB
>    Memory:    1 GB
>    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
>    Boot ROM Version:  1.1.2f2
>
> (Note: Originally a 400MHz machine ... oc'd to 450).
>
> How do I check for current Firmware? 1.1.2f2? Current Mactracker says
> "Open Firmware" and no updates.

That apparently is the latest. Unless someone has 'updated on their
own', you are stuck with what Apple wanted the system to be.

> Startup is now working, using Bruce's suggestion of using Startup
> Disk in System Preferences.
>
> The Sonnet Tango USB1/FW400 PCI card seemed to be working.

But at what point?

I.E. does a 'bootable partition' on a FireWire drive show up as
available when using 'Option' startup?  If so, then the 'Firewire
enable' is being handled by the firmware.

After OSX loads, then the partitions on Firewire show up on the
desktop. This is when 'Firewire enable' is being handled by OSX itself.

Chuck D.