At 9:51 AM -0600 1/4/09, D Stubbs posted:
I just got in a new 500G Firewire 400 HD from OWC, (their WD
Neptune), I haven't had a large HD before so I first tried searching
this forum's archives - but didn't quite find an answer to my
question.
I see 3 possible ways to go before I put this to use.
My first unededucated thought is to make five folders,  one for
backup, one music, one pics etc.
However, because of its size, is there any good reason to make say 5
partitions of 100G each?
Or perhaps one 30G with Apps and System clones CCC'd as a boot
backup, and one 470 for everything else?

Were I you, and planned on using the drive only for backup -
including emergency booting - I would make two partitions, one for a
cloned OS and the other for your files. (After formatting, you won't
have 500GB by the way.) There's mostly likely no need to make
separate partitions for each type of file. Having 5 partitions
mounted on your desktop will get old.

If you plan on having it mounted most times for access to your music
files, you may want to have the larger partition be the first
partition??? Faster seek times??? More knowledgeable folk will have
to answer that.

Steve R