Hi Miko,
   I happen to personally 'like' your DNG suggestion and am a genuine
devotee of RAW files and actively shoot and store them! However, the
archive I am creating is NOT an archive for ME or being created for MY
use. It's being created for two equally important 'future' relatives -
Someone who is looking for pictures of relatives AND someone (like me)
who wants great image files to do beautiful things with. The 'Image
Archive Industry' relies on the 100% NON-Proprietary nature of TIFF so
it's 'future' isn't tied to ANY corporation or group of corporations
AND the nature of the file format itself is designed for storing lots
of information in the headers (in my case an excellent parking space
for my 'exif type info/names,dates,titles). Further benefits come from
the fact Any Tiff file is openable many decades from now because even
if it falls into total disuse 'generally' all it takes is a programmer
to write a program to read the info and retrieve the image in the
file. This is a seperate question from the current 'media' choice for
storing the group of image files I'm grappling with.
   No matter how wonderful your raw/dng file suggestion is, it's
trumped by the 'benefits' TIFF brings to my specific situation. In my
own personal archive I see the incredible merits of DNG when it comes
to my personal image making.

Sorry Miko, The purpose of my project disqualifies your suggestion for
reasons seperate to what makes dng & raw so wonderful. I dearly hope
that 5-10 years from now DNG has the status of TIFF. LONG LIVE ADOBE -
LONG LIVE PHOTOSHOP!

Richard