One thing that never got mentioned was how much storage this project
will use. Are you talking about dozens of DVD's, or over 100?

Have you considered making at least one hard copy of the whole thing,
for the sake of redundancy and for the greatest accessibility?

I think the safest method would be to use two different kinds of
media; e.g., one optical and one magnetic.

And all this just reminded me about magneto optical storage. Some time
in the 1990's, I bought a 230 MB SCSI MO drive for about $150, at a
time when CD writers cost much more than that. (I still have it, too.)
Back then, all Macs had a SCSI port in the back, and I was able to get
a used SCSI card for my PC. They still make MO devices, with capacity
up to a few GB per disc.

Sony audio mini-discs use MO technology, too.

As for CD's and DVD's, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the brands I see
most often mentioned in media forums as high quality.