Thanks, Joe. I have a Quicksilver 867 upgraded to 1.5ghz, running
Tiger.

I've tried booting from an OS 9 CD (wouldn't boot), and a Norton CD
(ditto). Tech Tool Deluxe couldn't see any of the three partitions,
either.

My question: If I somehow failed to trash the desktop disk icons on my
last use, which I know is the usual cause for this problem, and
therefore "fried the B Tree," which I read is the consequence of such
misbehavior, is that damage in the FireWire case or the hard drive
itself? (If the latter, obviously the exercise of disassembling the
FireWire drive -- although I know how, and have done it before --
wouldn't be worth the exertion.)

My usual HD is running fine. I'm just trying to keep my backup tools
working as preventive medicine. If this exercise did confirm that the
FireWire case was the problem, would it help me in any way except to
confirm I needed a new FireWire case?