On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Evan Wilson wrote:

> :
>
> I need a VGA DB-15 PCI video card (or equivalent) to install in
> slot #2 of my Yikes! to drive my high resolution monochrome Apple
> Portrait Monitor (c. 1990) next to my ViewSonic flat screen monitor
> running from slot #1. Slots #3 and #4 presently run various
> Firewire and USB peripherals.
>
> Apple's manual accompanying my portrait monitor says it needs a
> "NuBus expansion card" but my manual "Setting Up Your Power
> Macintosh G4: Includes ... expansion information...." says "NuBus
> cards cannot be used in **THESE** expansion slots" where **THESE**
> seems to mean ATA slots only but could also mean all four slots
> depending on careful reading.

The slots are not ATA, but PCI. What the comment about needing a
NuBus card is referring to is that at the time of the manufacturing
of the Portrait display, all Macs that had expansion slots were Nubus
based. No Mac back then with onboard graphics could drive the
Portrait monitor, so an additional video card is needed, and only
NuBus cards were available, therefore a NuBus expansion card is
required.

Any pci card that supports the resolution of the portrait monitor
will drive it. I am not familiar enough with video cards to know
which ones support 640 x 870 resolution, but a want to buy on the
swap list specifying a pci card that can drive that monitor should
get you one relatively cheaply.

You will also probably need a vga to mac monitor adapter which can
also be found on the swap list. Total cost for the 2 should be around
$20 shipped. Be careful to specify that you want to use a Mac Monitor
and need the more uncommon vga male (3 rows of pins) to Mac Monitor
(2 rows of pins)

> The Yikes! manual also says Apple Desktop Bus (ADB) ports are not
> supported but the portrait monitor's manual says the monitor's
> interface is ADB. What workaround, if any, can you think of?

Again, not real familiar with the Portrait Display, but I believe
that the ADB is only a pass through, meaning you plug it into your
Mac, and you can plug your keyboard and mouse or other peripherals
into it, like a modern USB hub.

I know some later Mac monitors used ADB to control various color
settings, but I do not think the Portrait used it for anything, but I
could be wrong. How do you adjust brightness and contrast on it?

> Here's what my System Profiler says about my current graphics and
> display:

snip

I would consider getting a little nicer card like the Radeon for my
main monitor and putting it in the 66MHz slot and moving the current
Rage to one of the slower slots to drive the portrait, sine that is
not anywhere as demanding on the video card as a widescreen.

HTH,
Len