I'm on the verge of getting a bootable external hard drive.

Presently I have two - a Fantom and a Maxtor, non-bootables, around
200 gigs each. They are meant to be dupes of each other, contain my
user folder and archives. (Altho the archives are not *quite* dups any
more if you want me to be honest, as one drive is at the safe deposit
box and one at the house, so it's hard to compare if you know what I
mean.) The Maxtor came with some software I've been using for backup,
but I don't like the wierd single file it generates, so did this only
once and then did just copy of things with it, which seems to work
well, more or less.

As you know, the G4 did some weird things earlier this week, so I was
glad to have the external! And it wasn't bad, files just copied over
to the new iMac very well.

I just downloaded CCC - coupla questions:

1. I feel like making two separate backups, one of my whole drive and
then one of my user folder, as if I backup every couple of days and
the system does something weird, wouldn't it be better to have a
system to revert to?

2. Can CCC do this?

3. Does CCC copy things in a way that I can look at them, unlike the
file the Maxtor software created? I use the external to rescue things
from time to time if a file gets corrupted or I erase it or save over
it by accident, and want to just get back this one file.

4. Is Time Machine still a flaky app? (It is sitting here right in the
dock, but I remember hearing wierd tales awhile back)

5. In case of system problems, kind of how does it work with a
bootable drive? Can you copy back everything, even the system? Fonts,
settings, drivers? That's the idea, right?

Thanks in advance to those who know!

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design

G4 Quicksilver 733mHz Tower
896 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive, OS 10.4.11

Intel iMac 2.4gHz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, OS 10.5.5

Intel iMac 2.66gHz Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM, 264GB Hard Drive, OS 10.5.6