On Apr 26, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> The reason to do this would be that if you back up the System every
> day, would you not be backing up whatever errors have crept into it,
> thereby rendering the backup problematic when a problem occurs?

This is a separate issue entirely. Errors do not 'creep into a system'.

Computers are not organic things; when they fail, they fail in
knowable ways due to deliberate activities. They may fail in subtle,
difficult to identify ways, but in general when computer systems fail
they fail because:

Buggy software has been installed.
Hardware is failing.

With OS X the first is relatively simple to identify. If a problem is
not noted by a different user on the system, or cannot be reproduced
in Safe mode, then the issue is most likely buggy, third party
software or corrupted caches. Caches get corrupted when there's
problems writing or reading to/from disk (either from disk hardware
problems or abrupt shutdowns). Clearing these (starting in safe mode,
dumping browser caches, or running AppleJack to 'deep clean' things)
often fixes the problem. This partially solved a nagging slowdown
problem I had been having with my laptop, along with getting Flash
crap under control in my browser.

Hardware problems will increasingly become the issue with computers
germane to this list...the very newest of them (the last G5 towers)
are now approaching 4 years old, the oldest (the B&W G3) are ten years
old.

I'm tempting the LEM "endless idiotic UPS thread" curse here, but one
of the best investments you can ever make for your computer system is
a good, professional-grade uninterruptible power system, one that also
conditions the power (you'll spend $120-$400 for one of these)
Completely aside from the issue of protecting against power surges,
they provide clean, design-spec power to the system.

Electricity is the fuel for a computer, clean fuel == fewer problems.
I've seen them work over 15 years as an IT professional.

All this said, OSX is a remarkably stable and robust OS.

I'm convinced that many of the problems people experience with OS X
are the result of excessive tinkering, insufficient testing of new
software (don't go installing three new pref panes and four new
drivers at once.), too many 'switch off the power to shut down instead
of shutting down properly' incidents and poor power leading to
hardware faults.

I know this because my own systems rarely experience the issues we see
here, and mine are hardly pristine state of the art systems: an
upgraded G4 that lived through a flood  (The boot drive has been with
me since my computer was a Beige G3 running 10.2), a frankebook, half
867Mhz/half 1Ghz TiBook, with bits of my old Pismo installed, and an
old first-gen Intel iMac.

The desktops both live off of APC UPS'es, (A laptop's battery and
power brick system comprise, in essence, both parts of a power
conditioning UPS)

I maintain current backups via Time Machine and that's it.

I do no other 'system maintenance' whatsoever: I don't run
DiskWarrior, Repair Permissions, Onyx, AppleJack, etc etc etc. As I
said, OS X is robust. Leave it the heck alone and it usually runs
pretty well all by itself.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona