On Apr 25, 2009, at 8:56 PM, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:

> I'm on the verge of getting a bootable external hard drive.
>
> Presently I have two - a Fantom and a Maxtor, non-bootables, around
> 200 gigs each. They are meant to be dupes of each other, contain my
> user folder and archives. (Altho the archives are not *quite* dups any
> more if you want me to be honest, as one drive is at the safe deposit
> box and one at the house, so it's hard to compare if you know what I
> mean.) The Maxtor came with some software I've been using for backup,
> but I don't like the wierd single file it generates, so did this only
> once and then did just copy of things with it, which seems to work
> well, more or less.
>
> As you know, the G4 did some weird things earlier this week, so I was
> glad to have the external! And it wasn't bad, files just copied over
> to the new iMac very well.
>
> I just downloaded CCC - coupla questions:
>
> 1. I feel like making two separate backups, one of my whole drive and
> then one of my user folder, as if I backup every couple of days and
> the system does something weird, wouldn't it be better to have a
> system to revert to?

Absolutely

> 2. Can CCC do this?

This is CCC's main purpose; creating a bootable exact copy.

> 3. Does CCC copy things in a way that I can look at them, unlike the
> file the Maxtor software created? I use the external to rescue things
> from time to time if a file gets corrupted or I erase it or save over
> it by accident, and want to just get back this one file.

CCC makes an exact copy of your hard drive, so it's like any drive
with files on it.

> 4. Is Time Machine still a flaky app? (It is sitting here right in the
> dock, but I remember hearing wierd tales awhile back)

With local drives I haven't had any problems. There are occasional
'Time machine failed' errors, but the next time it runs it's ok. A
number of folks use it at work and I've not heard any complaints.

> 5. In case of system problems, kind of how does it work with a
> bootable drive? Can you copy back everything, even the system? Fonts,
> settings, drivers? That's the idea, right?

Exactly. You use CCC to copy everything back. A Time Machine volume
can do that as well, but as part of an OSX install. A professor at
work had a drive failure on his G5 and this worked perfectly for him
when he got the replacement drive.

--
Bruce Johnson
U of Az  College of Pharmacy