On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Baha Ata <baha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For G5 10.5, For ibook definetely 10.4... Even one of my powerbook
> with 1.33 Mhz and 1.25 GB Ram with 167 Mhz data path with 10.5 become
> slugy... Be aware those ibook's and powerbook's (12inches) uses 4200
> rmp drives. 10.4 is good for them. Smaller ram foot print...and lower
> graphic and data transfer request...
>
> Adding Ram will be asset... But Ram+Battery will be arround $100 and
> more... So think up selling 2 and buying 15.4 inch 1.67 Mhz Powerbook?
>
> 2009/5/12 Marty Levine <marty.lev...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> A friend of mine who has no Mac experience at all was given 2 Mac's by
>> a friend of his wife.  He has no idea if they are worth
>> saving/upgrading and I am the only Mac person he knows.
>>
>> The first machine is an iMac. I am guessing from his description it is
>> either an early G5 or 2nd gen G5 iMac but I have not seen the machine
>> yet.  He will be bringing it in soon
>>
>> The 2nd machine is a iBook G4 933mhz, 256 mb RAM, 40 GB hard drive,
>> airport extreme, CD-RW/DVD-ROM (combo drive I guess), battery life of
>> maybe 5 mintues - effectively dead.
>>
>> He plans to use these for general purpose machines for the family
>> which includes HS and middle school children.
>>
>> I am not sure he will want to invest much.  He will need to buy an OS
>> since we has not given any media.  I am suggesting that he have both
>> machines on the same OS so he only needs to learn on version of OSX.
>> Now, the question is which one?  For the G5 iMac, my opinion is 10.5
>> but not sure if that would be too much for the laptop. 10.4 for both?
>>
>> Until I found the "dead battery" I was going to recommend a 1gb
>> upgrade for the laptop but given the cost of a new battery I am not
>> sure it is worth the investment.  Maybe he would be better off selling
>> the iBook, upgrade the iMac and have a better experience with his
>> "new" Mac?
>>
>> Thanks for your recommendations - Marty

> Baha Ata

Since my friend is totally new to Mac's and will have to buy the OS
(LEM Swap List ?) I would think he is better off buying one OS (family
pack) than two different versions.  Even if he buys 2 copies of the
same software, I would think he would want to learn only  1 new
operating system.  I've been on Mac's since '92 and never had to
worrry about running 2 different versions of OS X.  It might be
overwhelming for a novice to have to struggle with 2 different
versions of 10.x  Comments on that please?

I have already recommended that he delay buying the battery and run
the system tehtered by its power cord and concentrate on RAM until he
is sure he wants to stay with the Macs.  I can't wait to see what
version iMac he really has.

 -- Marty