I replaced my 400 Mhz processor on my G4 Sawtooth with a 1.5 Ghz Mercury CPU
with 3 MB Level 3 cache, and it has made a great deal of difference. Even with
the standard ATI Rage 128 16 MB AGP video card. I also increased the RAM from
896 MB to 2 GB. I would like to get a PCI card based wireless card working and
replaced the Airport Card in it so I could run the wireless connection at
802.11(n) when I get my new Airport Express or Extreme base station.
I did find that when I got my MacBook White Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz with 2 GB RAM
(I've since upgraded it to 4 GB RAM) and the Nvidia GeForce 9400M video
processor that downloads are far faster than on my iBook G3 800 Mhz with 640 MB
RAM and 32 MB video card, so my suspicion that my slow downloads speed were due
to my Apple Express base station running at 802.11(b) in my Internet connection
was incorrect. The download is blazingingly fast on the MacBook and will even
improve once I get a new Airport Express or Extreme base station.