At 9:24 PM -0600 6/15/2009, nestamicky wrote:

>G4 Titanium 400Mhz
>Running 10.4 with 768 ram. Fully updated, except for the latest Safari.

>It's crap on any video site, including Youtube.

Flash sucks, and it has gotten worse this past year.  Ditto for the
more advanced codecs in QuickTime.

>Now, Dan, would rpm save me here?

Doubtful.  Browser speed is moot here.  This is all about the
plug-in's speed - Flash or QuickTime.  I think most stuff on YouTube
is Flash but it's moving to H.264?

 From the hardware point of view, this is about sheer number crunching
speed.  These plug-ins use very little memory or disk i/o.  They just
need more power with which to rebuild the compressed data frames.

Some of this crunching can be off-loaded into the graphics processor
(GPU) on the video card.  That's what technologies like Quartz
Extreme are ultimately all about.  If your machine supports it, make
sure it's enabled.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.