Paul Kemner wrote:
> One solution to that, if you have access to a later iMac with a DVD
> drive is to put the disk   in that computer and install 10.4, then put
> the drive back in your older G4.

That is doing it the hard way.

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Lawrence David Eden <lde...@comcast.net
> <mailto:lde...@comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>     A question for the List Mavens,
>
>     I have an iMac at one of my schools.  It is an early model and does
>     not have a DVD drive.  I have 10.3.9 installed and want to upgrade to
>     10.4x.  I have Apple's 10.4 update disc, but it is a DVD.
>
>     Is there another way to upgrade my iMac....or must I purchase a DVD
>     drive?

Using Target Disk Mode is far simpler.

Connect that computer with one that does have a DVD drive using a
firewire cable.  Put the OS disk in the DVD drive, boot that computer
and hold down the "T" key until you get the Firewire "Y" symbol floating
around the screen.  Then boot the DVD-less computer and hold down the
Option key.  Choose the DVD and click on the right arrow.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA