At 10:32 AM -0400 8/29/2009, Bill Connelly wrote:
>My thoughts: even though one may turn off Spotlight via Terminal, some
>part of it may try to access the hard drive at Startup.

Of course.  Spotlight itself has to sniff the settings files.  But
the indexing processes are NOT run.

>Placing the volumes in System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy, may
>stop this access.

No.  In fact (+/- Apple's bad design issues) it sometimes turns ON
indexing.  The items in the privacy list are FILTERS for the search
results.

>Another thought ... even though Spotlight sucks up the cpu when it
>first indexes your volumes,

Spotlight does a LOT of i/o, which is what causes the cpu usage.
IOW, it's a double hit - both cpu and i/o bandwidth.  The processes
are niced tho, so except on slower/older Macs, they shouldn't be too
bad, once the initial indexing has been completed.

>The rest is a more efficient Finder search tool. So
>turning off Spotlight may not be overall more efficient.

When the index is unavailable, Finder simply reverts to the regular
find operation.  That's just as quick to find things by filename.  It
greatly slows the ability to search *within* files because there's no
pre-baked index.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.