My mother-in-law, an elderly and stubborn lady (though nice) refuses
to give up her old 1 GHz iMac (the half-soccer-ball novelty with the
little monitor-on-a-stem sticking out of it) even though it dates from
the Jurassic Period of computing and we all keep telling her she'd be
better off with a new or at least newer iMac. She's had this Mac since
she bought it new. The reason she wants to keep the old thing, says
the sweet old thing, is that she has equally antique applications that
she cannot bear to part with, and that can only run in OS 9 (such as
an old genealogy program, an early word processor, solitaire games,
etc.), and none of the newer iMacs can run Classic. She has simply got
to run Classic, as well as OS-X for e-mail and surfing the web with
Safari.

We tried to persuade her to give up this old iMac when its hard drive
died the other day, but she insisted on reviving it, so we bought a
new 500-gig hard drive from OWC and installed it (and was that ever a
nightmare, digging into the crammed-full innards of that stupid soccer
ball). We also upped the ram to 1.5 gigs (I think it was).

So now we're at the stage where we have this new empty drive in the
iMac, as yet unformatted, and we have to get both OS-9 and OS-X onto
it. For some reason, none of the OS-9 installer discs that I've
accumulated over the years will start up this Mac (while holding down
the C key), but an OS-X Tiger disk will, and Disk Utility on the Tiger
installer disk sees the new drive just fine, so the HD installation
was successful. I did not install Tiger on the new drive because I'm
worried that we may have to install OS-9 first, and then put OS-X on
top of it. Is that how it's done, when you want both, and want to run
Classic?

Or, am I wrong, and can we install Tiger first, and then put 9.2.2 on
the same drive (maybe on a different partition) afterward?  I have a
disk called "9.2.2 Classic Install" that will not start up this iMac,
but I can view its contents in my G5, and it seems like maybe I could
install OS-9 from the desktop of OS-X in the iMac. Am I right?

In short, what would be the best way to install both 10.4.11 and
Classic 9.2.2 on this old G4 iMac?