Tom writes,

<Thanks, Yersinia and Taner. Well, I can start the old iMac up with the
10.4 installer disk, and then use its Disk Utility to format the new
drive, but no matter how I try it (either Erase or Partition), I am
not given any option to install any OS 9 drivers. It just doesn't
offer that option. Am I missing it somewhere? Where should I look for
it?>

When you go to the Erase tab in Disk Utility, immediately below the
fields for the choice of Volume Format and the name to give the HD<
there's a little box for a checkmark next to text which reads "Mac OS 9
Drivers Installed." If there's already a check in the box, you're OK, no
need to do anything. But if the box has no checkmark, you give it one by
clicking the box. This has to be done for OS 9 to install and run on the
system.

<And by the way, this old iMac does see the new drive as a 500 gig, or
rather 460 or something.>

Wow, that's cool! I guess your mother-in-law's Jurassic Mac can do
things my Triassic Mac can't! LOL

Good luck! :-)

~Yersinia.