>On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
>wrote:
>
> Carbon Copy Cloner (and the very similar Super Duper) makes it very
> easy to recover form a failed HDD: just boot from your backup.

To create a bootable clone copy of an OS X partition I've always just
used the confusingly named (to me) "restore" function in the OS X
included Disk Utility app. Always seems to work fine for me in 10.5
and later. (I believe it is supposed to work from 10.3 on, but I've
only had direct experience with 10.5 & 10.6)

If you want some compression I guess you could also create a image
file of your partition, though I would not expect you to be able to
boot from that. But, FWIW, I think I read that you can boot from
install media and then restore from a .dmg file.

What advantage is there to using these other apps beyond what Apple's
Disk Utility would provide?

-irrational john