Thank you.

On Feb 19, 2010, at 6:08 PM, ah...clem wrote:

thanks to everyone who replied, but especially to john musbach, who is
the only person so far to actually answer my question.  since i said
that it boots just fine after the mobo transplant, obviously i've had
the computer running with the fans on full.  i might add here that i
know that the fans on full speed won't bother me because i'm totally
deaf, having lost my hearing to a chinese-made concussion grenade
during my tour in afghanistan.  at which point, some of you would (or
should) feel pretty foolish about the comments you made.

well, that's not the case, but since so many 'contributors' to this
thread seem more interested in telling me what i should or shouldn't
find bothersome, rather than answering my question, i will explain.
this G5 is a dedicated number cruncher.  it works 24/7 on extremely
large mathematical problems which, according to the activity monitor,
keep both processors pegged at full utilization.  it sits by itself in
a closed unheated room (in the summer, it will be a closed air-
conditioned room).  i may visit it for a few minutes, every few days,
to check on the progress.  but other than that, i am outside the
closed room, down a flight of stairs, and 2 rooms removed.  so tales
of liquified cats not withstanding, i actually know what i'm saying
when i say, the noise won't bother me.  imagine that.

if anyone can add anything further that is relevant to my question (is
there any harm OR benefit to the hardware if the fans run at full
speed constantly?), then i would welcome hearing from them.  thanks
again to all who replied.  where else could i go to find entertainment
like this.  ;o)