On Mar 8, 2010, at 9:23 AM, t...@io.com wrote:

 It shows up in the list of DHCP assigned addresses but
is not accessible from the Mac.  I was able to use the HP printer tool
(forget its exact name) while using the LocalTalk port on the card to
configure it to get its IP address from the DHCP server.    Then
switched the connection to ethernet, cycled power on the printer, and
it still wasn't recognized by anything on the computer, including the
HP tool, although the DHCP server appears to have assigned it an IP
address.

what happens if you try the following command in Terminal:

ping <ip address>

Substituting the IP address that was assigned to it for <ip address>

This will tell you whether or not the system is responding on the ethernet port. If it responds, follow the directions I have in my other email to ensure that Ethertalk is switched on.

(Also, make sure Appletalk is enabled in the network settings for your computer!)

You should see it then. If not you can do it another way, that's a bit more work, but will work.

 Also odd, and possibly unconnected is that the HP tool
wouldn't find the printer when it was connected by the built-in
localtalk port, only when I switched to the localTalk port on the EIO
card.

The EIO card over-rides the built-in connections, this is expected behavior.

If the card doesn't respond to a ping (and the self test page lists '0 recieved packets' and lots of packet errors in the IO section) then likely the JetDirect is foo or the ethernet cable you're using is bad.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona