On Apr 8, 11:00 am, Jonas Lopez <jonaslo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ext Seagate 500 Gb USB Drive Issues on 450 MHz G4
>
> 1. There is a limit on hds, something like 180 Mb, but does this apply to
> External USB drives? Shows on dt as 500 ok.

The limitation, when it exists, is caused by the controller hardware
and/or firmware associated with it.   For internal drives, it's the
ATA controller on the Mac logic board and the firmware resident in the
Mac.    For USB and Firewire enclosures any limit is set by the bridge
in the external enclosure.  The 'bridge' is the logic which translates
between the hard drive's ATA or SATA and USB or Firewire.

So drive capacity addressability limitation on external hard drives
will always depend on the drive enclosure logic, not on the host
computer.

Of course, there may be some kind of bizarre exception, but in general
this is the case.

Jeff Walther