On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:45 PM, iJohn wrote:

The thing that I never see people talk about is that everything
Microsoft does by way of authentication is neither free nor a one-time
expense. They continually pay to support their authentication
function.

Obviously there is the cost of keeping the authentication servers
running and paying for the people who answer the authentication line
phones. (Though last time I did this that also was automated). They
also pay to develop all this crap and to constantly tweak and tune it
because it's so damn annoying to their customers. And of course it has
to always be tested and tested and tested again.

Actually, not so much.

I'd wager 90-95% of Microsoft OS sales are directly to OEM's. The average user, turning on their Dell for the first time is walked through connecting to the internet, and authentication happens then, with little or no interaction with the user.

People buying upgrades and folks setting up a handful of DIY boxes for their business or something run into these hassles, but frankly, these people are small fry, and MS doesn't really give a crap about them.

MS wants to keep Dell, HP and Lenovo happy.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona