Hiya Listers,

Oh no! I THINK that BOTH USB ports in my Mini died! :-O Is this possible, they could both go at the same time? Or am I missing something? OK, here it is...

This is the same Mini from the other day (1.5 GHz/1 GB RAM/Tiger 10.4.2). Remember the KVM wires got discombobulated when I was messing around in the area of the wire nest? And reseating the KVm connections fixed it all up? Everything was great with it until this morning, when, yup, I was back there in the wire nest again this morning (never mind with what). Anyway, when I thought I was done in the wire nest and I went back to the Mini, well, at first I couldn't get it to show up at all. Repeated reseating KVM-Mini connections on both ends finally gets me the monitor and keyboard, but I have a frozen mouse issue now (cursor stuck on screen). Yup, mouse is good, working just fine with the Quicksilver, only stuck on the Mini. After numerous reconnection attempts (including with different KVM wires), and even reconnecting the Quicksilver to the Mini's original position, all the same results: Quicksilver is good, Mini has a frozen cursor.

Soooo -- I take the KVM's USB end out of the Mini and stick in my favorite flash drive (YES IT WORKS!). In fact, it is standard procedure for me to use this very same flash drive in the Mini to move small to moderate populations of Sims from the Mini to the iBook (and back to the Mini from the iBook) at least a couple times a week -- daily when circumstances apply. Well, the flash drive did not flash its green light at me when I plugged it into either its usual port or the other one (the one where the KVM's USB connection was), and didn't show up on the Mini's desktop. But it DID flash and appear on the iBook. My external USB HD also works with the iBook, the Quicksilver and NOT the Mini, regardless of port (that used to work with the Mini too).

This is why I think both the Mini's USB ports are dead -- is there another test I'm missing?

And if they ARE dead...can they be saved? How?

Thanks,

~Yersinia.