At 00:58 -0400 5/14/10, Richard Gerome wrote, and I snipped:
>  but do not fold up the display screen cord for this may cause a inductive
> voltage problem and mess up the picture (this happens when guys with the hot
> rods get engines and the computer and wire harness out of junk yards and the
> wire harness is too long so they would roll up the wire harness and wire tie
> it together, then the engine would run really bad and they wouldn't know why)
> with all those wires running through it and all the different voltages cause
> it to act like an ignition coil and increase the voltage... Some of you
> probably wont know what I'm talking about here but for those of you who do
> know, "great"!!! Just thought I would add this comment because I see so many
> people with this mess behind their computer desk... Maybe this could be some
> of the mysteries for some of the problems with computers messing up??? Sorry
> if this is off topic, needed to be told...

I agree that it needs to be told. There are two different reasons for not
twisting up cables.

Coaxial cable with a single center conductor carefully kept at the middle of a
cylindrical outer shield is used for radio frequency data.  If you bend it
sharply and hold it that way the center conductor migrates through the
polyethylene insulation until it's not centered. That makes for reflections of
the electrical signals at the bend and, even worse, can actually short the
center conductor to the shield.  Good old RG58 and RG59 coax at about 1/4 inch
diameter is rated for bend radius no smaller than 2 inches. Video cables use
smaller coax but one still has to be careful.

Twisted pair cables are not so dependent on positioning of the conductors but
they are very dependent on matching of the insulation thickness and the twist
rate of the conductors. If either gets changed by tight bending of the cable
reflection points are created. When reflected energy gets re-reflected the
result is a delay which can interfere with some other data bit because of the
speed of light in the cable. Those CAT-5 ethernet cables depend on different
twist rates for each pair to minimize magnetic crosstalk between pairs. Running
two unshielded CAT-5 cables close to each other is asking for trouble.

It all depends on cable length and the data rate. A number worth remembering is
that the speed of light in vacuum is about one US foot per nanosecond. For a
ten foot cable and a data rate of 100 MHz bit number two arrives at the end
about the same time as bit number three is transmitted. As data rates get
faster - as with USB yet to be - cable cleanness becomes more and more
important.

--
--> Marriage and kilo are troubled words. Turmoil results when centuries-old
usage is altered in specialized jargon <--.