Bruce Johnson writes,

<Macs can act all weird when they don't have a kb and/or mouse attached.

Try it stand-alone: connect a known-good keyboard and mouse to the Mini. Reboot the mini in safe mode. See what happens.>

WOW! It worked FINE stand-alone! :-O It booted up in Safe Mode (keyboard was fine when it asked for my password), I moused around with it a little, then I did a regular restart, and it seemed OK. OK I didn't do much with it because there was zero room on the desk (I had to also drag in the "spare" old 15" monitor from the living room; took it off the B&W), but it seemed OK. Then I took the keyboard off to free up one of the USB ports and put Favorite Flash Drive in. Whammy, wonderful, there it is on the desktop. I use the mouse to properly eject it by putting it in the trash.

<If the USB ports are indeed dead, it's new logicboard time (or new Mini time) and I personally would get rid of that KVM immediately.>

Well...apparently they're not dead after all. Thank goodness! Question though: why would you get rid of the KVM? Would a different make/model of KVM switch be better somehow? (The one I have is an Iogear Miniview 4-port.) Maybe next time I mess around in or near the Wire Nest I ought to shut down my Macs totally? Or do KVMs blow up computers?

BTW, in order to use the Mini (in here, which is where I want to use it anyway) I have to use the KVM, which is central to my Optimum Plan: to be able to Sim on the Mini and click immediately over to the Quicksilver occasionally to check email/web surf/do other things -- and not have to shut down/reboot anything except rarely (Ha!). On this note, I just hooked the Mini back on to the KVM to see if it would work after all, seeing how well the standalone tryout worked -- and wow, for now anyway, the Mini and KVM are playing nice so I'm back in business.

Thanks for your help Bruce!  :-D

~Yersinia.