On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Ted Treen <ted.tr...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>  _______________________________________
>>

> You're right in what you say, but at least here in the UK, stereotypes - at
> least in the bosses' eyes - still rule.
>
> I was a techie/systems programmer back in the seventies/early eighties, in
> the days of wood-burning, steam-powered computers. I switched allegiance to
> Macs in the mid eighties, and have remained a Mac techie ever since. As a
> frustrated artist, and keen photographer, I found the whole Mac experience
> tremendous, so I became a user as well, rather than a pure techie. I am
> still, despite having just turned 60, a graphic designer in a large company
> which is very Windows orientated (despite most of IT dep't having a Mac at
> home).
>
> IT leave it to me to look after our small establishment of 5 Macs, which is
> no great hassle, and I still enjoy stretching CS5 (just received) and CS3 to
> the limit;- well, it's more a case of exploring all of it's capabilities,
> rather than stretching them.
>
> But people still seem amazed to find a designer who knows, understands &
> loves Macs - or from the other point of viw, a techie who knows, understands
> & loves design, typography &c.
>
> Seems they've got it fixed in their heads you can be one or the other, bit
> not both.
>
> Best to all,
>
> Ted
>
> --

-- _________________________________________________

Taking media production classes at first was all on PCs. The Macs were in
another building with the print " Newsies". ( The Taylor Hall you see in all
of the newsreels of the slaughter).

But an old hall has been refurbished and modernized. Macs rule there ( PCs
in minor roles) in all media classes now. and in Student and PBS broadcast
and web operations as well which are linked there too.

Give me Macs and Adobe software along with FCP and Logic and I can just
work. Very little IT aid needed. Only when student wear and mostly tear do a
machine harm. Some raised on PCs take their frustrations out on Macs. That
is why the expensive ones are in locked, limited access labs and classrooms
and iMacs are provided for less intense " Newsie " activities. 25 Mac Pros
fully stocked with software in a cool well lit classroom are awesome to
behold. PCs are mostly in the TV studios where the expensive control
software is PC only. But big Macs do the digital recording and other
broadcast linking tasks.

Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer

fluxstrin...@gmail.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/