On Oct 20, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Brian Christmas wrote:

> As the cost of flash memory drops, it appears likely that an OS will be
> developed that uses flash as it's boot and running ram, but hard drives will
> continue to be used for 'bulk' storage for some time to come.

Flash will become more common as a replacement for hard disks.  But HDs will
still beat out Flash for the foreseeable future for large capacity storage, it
is going to take a while before some kind of solid state storage beats rotating
magnetic storage in $/byte.

You don't need to develop an OS that uses flash, the are lots of Flash drives
now that are SATA drives and can be used just like a SATA HD.

Flash isn't going to replace RAM, at least not for a long time.  Flash isn't
anywhere near as fast as RAM.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting