On Oct 21, 11:13 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2010, at 10:51 PM, Tom wrote:
>
> > I notice that Apple's new laptop computers will have flash drives
> > instead of hard drives. Does that mean that flash drives will
> > eventually replace hard drives in all computers, then?
>
> That's been predicted for about 20 years now.

translation, not anytime soon.  tho' a mechanical device, a HD's
reliable life is still more than one order of magnitude greater than
the best (most expensive) SSD currently available.  SSD's have a
finite number of read/write cycles that just doesn't compare to a well-
built HD (quantum, seagate, maxtor).  if you made a SSD your boot
drive (meaning you would be reading and writing more or less
constantly) you can expect it to have a safe reliable life of 2-3
years.  you wanna put your money and data into one of those, knock
yourself up.  i have HD's that are over 10 y old, and still do not
have a single bad sector.  only trouble is they are small.  but then
again, so are the SSD's that cost less than a used car.

and btw, from what i've read, people here are not so concerned that
their old hardware and software are becoming obsolete, as they are
concerned that the new stuff coming out is actually inferior, even if
it is able to run the latest apps and stream the latest version of
flash, it's a dumbed down, disabled version of what they've come to
rely on, eg, the intel crap that replaced the altivec processors.
after 5 years, the intel chips still lack some of the inherent design
advantages of the altivec.  and PPC was allegedly abandoned because
motorola couldn't or wouldn't invest in the clock-speed war.  contrary
to the notion that technology will continue to advance exponentially,
notice how CPU clock-speeds have more or less plateaued since the
"competition" ended, compared the the five years prior to the switch
to intel?

there will only be justice, equality, and most importantly, sanity,
when all of the gordon gecko's have been put to the sword.  even the
ones named steve.