On Oct 25, 9:14 am, Nestamicky <nestami...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This machine is the 2 Ghz DP version, 2005.
>
> It will chime and boot to the internal HD.
>
> I lost the password so can't login.
>
> I then try with the install DVD to reset the password.
>
> It will not take any keyboard input combination to reset NVRAM, boot off
> DVD---nothing.
>
> The keyboard works because when I tried some password input it prints on
> screen.
>
> I took the HD out, put it back in and on an SATA channel it did not
> like. It did not boot.
>
> I changed it and it booted but this time without anything on screen. So
> I messed things up, apparently, as it used to boot to login screen before.
>
> So I removed and cleaned the tip of the video card. No luck.
>
> I must also mention that I've removed RAM, battery, etc, to see if it's
> locked with firmware that's preventing the keyboard input at boot, but
> no luck. I think that's the real problem here....not responding to
> keyboard input during boot.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

Have you tried booting with the [Shift] key held down to boot into
safe mode and clear the caches? If not try that, and then restart when
you get to the login screen.

If it still does not work, disconnect all external peripheral cables
and the AC power cord. Open the side door, remove the door and thermal
shield. Look inside, down below the memory slots about one inch up
along the bottom edge of the main logic board, just in front of the
processor intake fans, where you will see the SMU reset switch. It is
a round grey or white momentary contact switch set in a square metal
"can", much like the PRAM switches in older G3 and G4 desktop systems.
Press the SMU switch once, and once only, releasing it immediately.
Wait at least ten seconds before closing the system up, re-connecting
the external peripheral cables and the AC power cable. Try to start
the system from the OS install DVD, and reset the system password.

If that doesn't work, check and, if necessary, change the PRAM
battery. Try booting with the [Command] + [Option] + [P] +[R] keys
held down until you reach the open firmware prompt. Try the usual
NVRAM reset commands, press [Enter/Return] key after each command:

reset-nvram [Enter]
set defaults [Enter]
reset-all [Enter]

The system should restart. Hold down the [C] key as it boots to boot
to the OS install DVD. Try and change the password. If successful, see
if you can log in. As someone else suggested, be sure you are using a
wired keyboard so the keyboard will be recognized and functional when
you reach the Login prompt.

If none of the above works, boot from the ASD CD and run all the
system tests.

Good luck.

Ross