Howdy,
 If you are real lucky, it will be the write protect switch mentioned
earlier.  I like drives with those switches.  If you are less lucky, it
may be a USB drive failure.  Flash drives have a limited number of times
they can be written.  When the controller on the drive detects that it
cannot write anymore, it changes the drive to read only.  So, this is a
frequent symptom of the drive failing.  If this is the case, buy a new
drive and copy the data off soon.  And, consider yourself lucky to have
had such a benign failure.  This is how they are all supposed to die.
It just does not always work out that way.
Good luck, Ralph