>Flash drives have a limited number of times
> they can be written.  When the controller on the drive detects that it
> cannot write anymore, it changes the drive to read only.

It’s true, the stick is not the newest. But shouldn’t it last for
quite some years if I use it only a couple of times a week?

Anyway, this is my new checklist, thanks to all the input:
- Is the write-protect switch set? (no)
- Is it NTFS? (no)
- Check the file system with Disk Utility and reformat if necessary
- If it can’t be formatted, throw it away.

Somehow, this reminds me of the trouble with MSDOS-formatted floppy
disks: when they are written to on several computers, and especially
on a mix of Macs and PCs, they get corrupted easily. That was because
of the drive heads being aligned slightly differently, I thought. But
some things seem to remain...

Re. USB hub: This one has 7 ports, of which 2 are used by an Apple
mouse and a non-Apple keyboard, so plugging in a stick as the third
shouldn’t overload its power supply, one would assume.
But they do seem to be sensitive, also from other threads mentioning
that plugging in caused enough sparks to make the computer reboot,
IIRC.