On Feb 13, 2011, at 11:45 AM, Dan wrote:

> You're terminology is a bit muddied.  From what I can tell, you have two
> Acomdata boxes.  Each box contains two 1 TB HDs, that are RAIDed together, so
> they each present a 2 TB volume to your Mac.
>
> 1) Replacing the 1 TB mechanisms with 2 TB devices might be possible - if
> their controller supports that.  Best to check with them.
> <http://www.acomdata.com/>
>
> 2) To make a 4 TB from that, you'd have to RAID together two already RAIDed
> boxes.  I don't think that will work.  To RAID things without risking data
> loss, the RAID controller needs to have direct access to all the media.
>
> - Dan.
> --
> - Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

I do have two boxes containing 2 1TB drives each. I want to install 2 2TB
drives in each box giving me 2 separate 4TB boxes.  Assuming the Acomdata boxes
controllers will work. Can I just install them and have them mount as a 4TB box
or do I need to use Disk Utility to create a RAID?

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda CA
92886 USA
Sent from my MBP