Here's what the Tiger 10.4.11 System Profiler had to say about the 5200 when it was installed:

Graphics/Displays:

GeForce FX 5200:

  Chipset Model:        GeForce FX 5200
  Type: Display
  Bus:  AGP
  Slot: SLOT-A
  VRAM (Total): 256 MB
  Vendor:       nVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:    0x0321
  Revision ID:  0x00b1
  ROM Revision: 2060
  Displays:
DELL S2009W:
  Resolution:   1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
  Depth:        32-bit Color
  Core Image:   Supported
  Main Display: Yes
  Mirror:       Off
  Online:       Yes
  Quartz Extreme:       Supported
Display:

I've looked into Kris's The Mac elite link. Closest match for the 5200, under the heading Original NVIDIA PPC ROMs is an FX 5200 Ultra with a ROM revision matching the above 2060. However, it also shows a different RAM size than the above. Next closest match is under the heading Modified NVIDIA PPC ROMs, the various XFX PVT44AWANG GeForce 6200 listings that show a ROM revision of 2149a and a matching 256 MB RAM size.

I clicked on the Hacking NVIDIA Extensions Support link. The phrase "Kernel panic at boot" jumped into focus immediately, as you might expect.

So, let me see here. Hnmmm. I might have a card with Original NVIDIA PPC ROM, or maybe that's what I'm supposed to have gotten but actually got a card with Modified NVIDIA PPC ROM with an inappropriate ROM revision. Plausible? I'm only guessing. I've got a card that just don't work, or rather, one that "works," but really doesn't work. It seems clear that for whatever reason, the following might apply, and I quote (from The Mac Elite):

"Some cards can be made to work in OS X with custom ROM, however OS X extensions does not support the card's hardwired device ID, so it would result in a Kernel Panic at boot. If the card is close to another officially supported card in OS X or use the same GPU, there's an easy hack which will allow it to operate in OS X."

I don't know why OHS would sell me a card I had to hack to make work. Perhaps that was what the missing installation instructions were about. I'll see what they have to say, and take another look at the CD-ROM they sent me in the meantime.

Sean