> USB 3.0 pcie card in a late 2005 G5? can this be done?
>
> I've seen various PCIe cards out there, but the question is, will they
> "just work"? has anybody tried this and what was your results.

General guidance ...

PCI-e 1x cards with a Renesas chip work with the hacked LaCie driver (see
below).

PCI-e 1x cards with an Etron chip also work with the hacked LaCie driver.

PCI-e 1x cards with an ASMedia do not work on MacOS X, but do on Windows 7.

This is somewhat amusing as the ASMedia chip just received its
certification from the "USB 3.0 Mafia" as to its compatibility, yet the
Etron chip has yet to do so.

If you buy from a domestic source (NewEgg, etcetera), a Renesas-based card
will cost significantly more than an Etron-based card.

If you buy from Hong Kong, using an "eBay store", a Renesas-based card
will cost just about the same as an Etron-based card.

So far, I have only seen the ASMedia USB 3.0 chips in systems (Shuttle
SH67H3, for example), but both the Renesas- and Etron-based cards are
widely available as generic cards, although without any MacOS X supporting
driver CD, which is where OSx86 comes in as a well-known hacker has hacked
the LaCie driver to support any Renesas-based card, and it so happens that
the Etron chip is functionally compatible with the Renesas chip.

Renesas is the new name for the NEC USB 3.0 chip.

So far, there is no MacOS X driver CD for the ASMedia USB 3.0 chip.
ASMedia is, apparently, a spin-off of ASUS.