----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: USB Drive Issues
Date:    Tuesday, 25. October 2011
From:    Michael McMurtrey <skyking...@verizon.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> A USB 2.0 card, however, sounds like a good idea. Where do I get one?

Sorry… I didn't answer the “where”…
As I'm not from the States, I don't know where you guys get your computer
stuff. In Europe we have hardware chains that have such articles as well as
independent hardware dealers. Mostly, the later ones are the best choices to
get such expansion cards cheaper than in the hardware chains. But their range
of products is limited, so we use the internet.

In Europe there is a great web page that has all the prices of local stores
for specific products. With it you can find the cheapest one. With the shipping
costs or the costs to collect it you can then figure out where to buy. Or, you
get the idea of how much a specific item should cost and you come to the
hardware chain with a price in mind. If it isn't too much overpriced, you go
for it.

If you want to take a look:
http://geizhals.eu

Geizhals (german) can be translated as cheapskate or miser.

You can even seach for USB 2.0 PCI cards in general:
http://geizhals.eu/?cat=ioexpcard&xf=621_PCI%7E624_2%7E624_1%7E624_3%7E624_4%7E624_5%7E624_7&sort=p
(sorted by price, cheapest seller, without shipping costs)

In the U.S., my approach would be to find a hardware store in your area, or
even something like Amazon, that has such a USB 2.0 PCI expansion card, 1)
with a NEC chip, 2) at a reasonable price (around $20 max?).

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250