On Nov 4, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Jim Scott wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Valter Prahlad wrote:
>
>> Il giorno 4-11-2011 21:57, David W. Morris ha scritto:
>>
>>> Anyway, back to the point of my message.  I suggest you check any
>>> liquid cooled G5 Mac computer for leaks and corrosion, before you have
>>> a catastrophic leak and failure that damages the motherboard and PSU
>>
>> Should I check it every now and then?
>> The G5 sits under my desk, and it's not immediately accessible.
>>
>> Should I put a diaper around the CPUs, just in case? ;-D
>
> Diaper? Heh. There's no effective way to do that and not defeat the rather
> elaborate cooling system. And, the danger from leaks isn't so much to the
> CPUs as it is to the power supply, which lives directly underneath the CPUs
> and cooling system. In fact, Apple already has installed a diaper-like
> absorbent pad on the metal plate that covers the power supply opening. But
> it's only effective in catching the first drops when a leak starts, which
> means frequent inspections are your best bet. Or upgrade Apple's pad with one
> made from a spare pair of Depends. :^)
>
> Jim Scott

Apple had two different LCS's in the G5 PM 2.7 the Delphi (single pump) it was
pretty sure to leak and need to be rebuilt the other LCS was made by Panasonic
(two pumps) that AFAIK never has leaked yet. I replaced my Delphi after two
rebuilds and one Power supply with the later model Panasonic  it's a much
better built unit and easy to service if needed. No diaper needed:-)

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda CA
92886 USA
MacPro 2.66 Quad Nehalem